Join Kids with Vents!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Michael's Story


Hello, my name is Michael.  I was born with a genetic disease called Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  DMD is a disease that causes the weakening of skeletal muscles, respiratory system, and cardiomyopathy (weakening of the cardiac muscle).  There is no known cure for DMD and the prognosis is death.  When I was a young boy, somewhere around six or seven years of age, I was told that I probably would not live past the age of 19.  I praise the Lord every day, thanking him that I surpassed the doctor’s projection.  Today, I’m blessed; see I just turned 33 this past spring which is a milestone for a person having DMD.

Through the years, DMD has taken its toll on my body.  From the age of seven, when I could still walk, my muscles gradually began to weaken. As a result, I fell a lot because my legs were weak.  It seemed that when I walked on hard surfaces like concrete, pavement, and gravel I would fall.  I continued to stumble and fall till the age of 12 years old, when I became dependent on a wheelchair.  I lived with my parents until I was 21 years old. At that time I was more determined than ever to make something out of my life despite having DMD. I moved to Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center and began studing Mental Health/Human Services. I graduated there in 2001 with an Associates Degree and Certificate in Peer Mediation through Blue Ridge Community College. I was also married to my wonderful wife Robin by then. In that same year I graduated Robin and I rented an Apartment in Stuarts Draft, Virginia. During that time, I lost the ability to feed myself, and I lost a great deal of weight. I also began having breathing difficulties along with severe Central Sleep Apnea. I began using a BiPap Machine at night and eventually a Pneumobelt in 2003. In 2005 I was placed on a Trach and Ventilator after a serious infection. The doctors told Robin that she had to make a choice.  She could either have me trached or they could administer comfort measures and let me die.  They asked me if I wanted to be trached, and I said yes.  I was facing death, but I heard God tell me “It’s not your time, your work is not done; I am not done with you.”  So, I was trached and vented a few hours later.  I started improving immediately, and by the end of that week, I was well enough to go home.

Once I got home, I was scared but glad to be home.  At first, I was not able to get out of bed or eat.  This lasted about three weeks, sleeping and drinking Ensure four times a day.  Finally, I got well enough to get out of bed however still drinking ensure.  A few days later, I said to heck with this stinking Ensure.  I got my attendant to go to McDonalds and get me a cheeseburger and French fries.  Man that was the best burger I ever ate!  Eventually, things got better and I was gaining weight and breathing great, Hallelujah!

Then, about two years ago, I developed Congestive Heart Failure from my ever weakening heart.  I’ve been a Christian for several years, and my relationship with Jesus has enabled me to get through many trials.  I have salvation through him.  This was reality slapping me in the face; it was time to get serious about being a Christian and stop playing Christian.  The news broke my heart; my heart is literally broken which is how the Lord wants it!  I was given a 70 percent chance of dying from sudden death from a heart attack.  This is the second year of that prognosis and my Ejection Fraction is dangerously low at 17 percent, but who cares about numbers.  By the way this ventilator and oxygen are just accessories, and not my life support.  Let me say this, Jesus Christ is my life support!  Amen!

I began to see the annointing God had on my life. I began taking Online Classes in persuit of a BA in Pastoral Ministries. The same year I came up with a Concept Christian Ministry for the Disabled. Today, we are called Spirit Roller Ministries and we are 501c3 Non Profit; we are also an Affiliate with Joni and Friends Ministries. We have been running a very successful program called MedEvange. We take used/donated Medical Equipment then we give it away free of charge to the needy. We also have a Mentoring Service, Couseling, Advocacy and Empowering them with the Word of God.

The latest bout with my health came this past March, when I started having heart rates in the lower 30's. This condition is called bradycardia which means my heart is too weak to keep a regular rhythm.  It was time for device intervention, and the doctors suggested a pacemaker. They said that the Pacemaker would prevent my heart rhythm going below 60 beats per minute; several doctors were skeptical while my Cardiologist remained optimistic, so I had this major decision to make. I chose the Pacemaker to have more time on this earth to serve Jesus and to be there for my wife and mother.  I was scheduled for April 30. They rolled me down to the Heart Cath Lab, slapped the monitors on me and transferred my onto the operating table.  I heard the doctor come in as the meds were administered; I only remember 2 things as I went out, someone turning this crazy music on and the doctor say, “someone bring me my knives.”  I was in surgery for 4 hours before waking up and saying, “Are ya’ll done yet?”  “Closing you up now Mr. Keen,” someone replied.”  The following evening I was so peaceful.  I stayed at the hospital with my mother and we watched the heart monitor and cried for joy; the surgery was a success and my rhythms were slow and steady.  “Mom,” I said “now I have more time to spend with you and Robin.”  “I know,” she said as she rubbed back tears in her eyes.  I woke later that night to my mother whispering, “Thank you Lord for lending me my son a little while longer.”

1 comment:

  1. Love your story and your heart for the Lord! I have a variety of different medical issues but just got diagnosed with central sleep apnea today and was looking for more info about BiPAP and such and stumbled on this page. I feel like God has "disabled" me in a way because I am supposed to see the bigger picture and live my life entirely for him, and minister to others with medical difficulties in only a way someone who's "been there" can. Also amazing you are so relatively healthy at 33! McDonald's over Ensure any day!

    ReplyDelete